NOV-COV: PLAINTIFF PRACTICE DURING AND AFTER THE PANDEMIC (AND MORE)
The webinar series represents 8.0 Hours of MCPD Credits for Members and other lawyers in the Atlantic Provinces.
The Coronavirus has affected every element of your clients’ lives and has had a tremendous impact on legal practice and the progress of all civil litigation. Join APTLA at our NOV-COV: PLAINTIFF PRACTICE DURING AND AFTER THE PANDEMIC (AND MORE) webinar series as we look at how we proceed despite a pandemic. We are delving into how trial practice has changed and how to best respond to the various legal challenges. Take a deep dive into the IME (with and without Covid). See what treatments and services are possible remotely. Understand Covid’s impact on the mental health of your already injured clients. We will look at Financial Causation for the self-employed and wage earners, and where Business Interruption Insurance fits into your clients’ claims. We will also review Covid-related caselaw that every plaintiff counsel should know and hold a four province Judicial discussion of the Court’s experience during the height of the 1st Wave, and the changes to come from the Court systems as a result of Covid. In short, we’ve got Covid covered for every one of your cases.
NOV-COV: PLAINTIFF PRACTICE DURING AND AFTER THE PANDEMIC (AND MORE) includes:
RECORDED - Covid-19 and “Normal” Trial Practice – What Now? (Password Required)
• Status of Atlantic Provinces on Remote Practice • Mediations and Virtual Hearings – Benefits, Challenges and Effectiveness • Case Backlogs – What to do about Lengthy Delays • Is there an effective and expedient Alternative to Trial?
RECORDED - The Insurance Medical Exam Before, During and After Covid (Password Required)
• Has Covid changed the IME? • Can you reject being compelled to take an IME? (Travel restrictions, vulnerable client) • Duty in setting up IME – Are they following proper Covid procedures?
• Preparing your client for the IME • How to protect your Client after the IME • Considerations in the Section B IME
RECORDED - How Clients can (and can’t) Access Medical and Rehab Services Remotely • Remote Psychotherapy • Neurological Assessment in the Virtual World – What works Best • What does “Mitigation” Mean in a Pandemic Situation? • The Mental Health Impact of COVID • The Legal Implications of COVID for PI Clients (Password Required)
RECORDED - The COVID Causation Conundrum (Password Required)
• A discussion of how to separate losses caused by the pandemic from those caused by the injuries (i.e. financial causation) • The emphasis will be on self-employed persons / some for T4 earners • Plus Covid Benefits - Deductions or Not? Are CERB Payments taken into account for Section B or Section A?
RECORDED - A View from the Bench (Password Required)
• A review from members of the judiciary with respect to their experiences and the changes that have/will come to the court systems as a result of COVID.
RECORDED - Young Lawyers Section – Case Law Update/Review & Business Interruption Clauses and Covid-19 (Password Required)
• Covid-related case review • Determining whether your business losses due to the Covid 19 shutdown are compensable under your Commercial Policy of Insurance. • We will consider the determination of coverage, and the potential right of recovery of those businesses affected by the pandemic-driven shutdown.
We had an excellent faculty, making this conference educational, entertaining, and useful to your practice. We thank:
• Hon. C.J. Tracey Clements (Supreme Court of Prince Edward Island)
• Hon. C.J. Tracey DeWare (Court of Queen's Bench, New Brunswick)
• Hon. Justice Christa Brothers (Supreme Court of Nova Scotia)
• Hon. Daniel M. Boone (Newfoundland & Labrador Supreme Court)
• Shanna Peters, BA Hons., MA, RP (Qualifying), Psychotherapist, Case Manager & Life Care Planner, and Rehabilitation Therapist
• Dr. Dale Robinson, MD, FRCPC, Neurologist
• Jarrett Reaume, CPA, CA•IFA, CBV, CFF, Partner/Senior Vice President of Matson Driscoll & Damico
• John Shamoon, Stride Rehabilitation Services Inc., Developmental Service Worker
• Robert LaBrecque, Owner of Align Case Management
• Ron Pizzo, Pink Larkin
AND APTLA Member-Speakers:
• Chris Correia, Q.C., Correia Collins
• Charles Foster, Q.C., Foster & Company
• Barry Mason, Q.C., Pressé Mason
• Bob Carter, Q.C., Carter Simpson
• Mathieu Picard and Virginia Gilmore, Fidelis Law/Droit
• Brian Hebert, McKiggan Hebert
• Chuck Ford and Mike Dull, Valent Legal
• Toby Bristow, Cantini Law Group
• Gerald Ralph, Central Law
and Kyle Campbell, Lenehan Musgrave.
THANKS TO OUR SPONSORS:
THANKS TO OUR SPONSORS FOR STICKING WITH APTLA & OUR MEMBERS THROUGH THESE TURBULENT TIMES!
BE SURE TO VISIT WITH THEM VIA THEIR WEBSITES AND REACH OUT WHEN YOU NEED HELP WITH YOUR CASES!