"RULES OF THE ROAD" - CUTTING EDGE TECHNIQUES TO PROVE LIABILITY IN ANY PLAINTIFF CLAIM
Noon Friday, June 12th & All Day Saturday, June 13th, 2009
Sheraton Hotel Newfoundland, St. John's, NL
Click here for the detailed "Rules of the Road" registration brochure.
This program is not about the rules defined under the various Motor Vehicle Acts in the Atlantic Provinces, but rather new and innovative techniques to get important admissions from defence experts and other witnesses that can bolster your client's case in a straight forward and challenge-proof way.
This program is being presented by Patrick Malone, co-author of the acclaimed trial guide, "Rules of the Road: A Plaintiff Lawyer's Guide to Proving Liability" and prominent AAJ Member, Bruce Stern. They are joined by noted Canadian lawyers, Bruce Hillyer, Dermot Nolan, George McAllister and Ches Crosbie - all of them past or incoming Presidents of their respective Trial Lawyer Associations.
The book "Rules of the Road" and our program present a ground breaking approach to proving liability in every type of case, be it before a Judge or Jury. Every plaintiff lawyer should be familiar with the techniques outlined in this book; a sentiment echoed by the leadership of both APTLA, the American Association for Justice and Trial Lawyer Associations across North America.
Our Rules of the Road program will include:
• The Mongoose and the Cobra: The Ontario Experience
• Rules of the Road I - Introduction: Understanding the Persuasive Power of the “Rules of the Road”
• Rules of the Road II - Basics: Defining the Problem, Solving the Problem & Identifying the Rules
• Rules of the Road III - Working in the Rules: Pleading and Before
• Rules of the Road IV - Your Witnesses: Laying the Groundwork to Support Your Case
• Rules of the Road Workshop I: Finding and Apply Rules to Your Case.
• Must Know Cases from the S.C.C.
• Control Sticks That Keep You in Charge of the Witness: Fundamental techniques that every lawyer can use.
• Three Principles of Cross-Examination "Illustrated"
• Preparing YOUR Client for Cross Examination
• Rules of the Road V – Discoveries: Establishing and Refining Your Rules in Discoveries
• Rules of the Road VI – At Trial: Openings, Closings and use in between.
• Rules of the Road Workshop II – Case Analysis & Final Reflections
The program includes two interactive brainstorming sessions with our panelists that will allow attendees to review their cases and identify the applicable rules.
Attendees and guests are invited to a formal reception at Government House, hosted by His Honour John C. Crosbie, OC, ONL, Q.C., Lieutenant Governor of Newfoundland & Labrador
APTLA MEMBER REGISTRATION:
• $399.00 + HST = $450.87 for APTLA Regular and Sustaining Members
• $399.00 + HST = $450.87 for APTLA Associate Members
• $299.00 + HST = $337.87 for APTLA Young Lawyer Section Members
• $199.00 + HST = $224.87 for APTLA Clerk & Student Members
NON-APTLA MEMBER REGISTRATION
• $575.22 + HST = $650.00 for Non-APTLA Member Registrations
• $399.00 + HST = $450.87 for Non-APTLA Clerks & Students
Non Members who qualify for APTLA Membership may wish to join the Association in order to enjoy Member pricing and other valuable Member Benefits.
Registration includes a CD of conference materials, refreshment breaks, the conference luncheon, and HST.
All conference registrants will receive a CD of conference papers presented at the Rules of the Road program. Printed materials will be available on a limited basis at an additional cost of $75.00 for those attending the conference. The CD will have all of these papers provided to APTLA.
In addition, APTLA is arranging to have the Trial Guide Rules of the Road: A Plaintiff Lawyer's Guide to Proving Liability (300+ pages) available for purchase by our conference attendees. The conference attendee price will be $125.00.
THIS WILL BE AN EXTRAORDINARY CONFERENCE. SPACE IS LIMITED. PLEASE REGISTER AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.
HOTEL ARRANGEMENTS: APTLA is advised by the Sheraton Newfoundland Hotel that our original Room Block is filled. However there are still room available at that hotel, and of course many hotels, B&Bs and other accommodations to choose from around St. John's. The Sheraton is (709) 726-4980. If you have difficulty with getting a reservation, feel free to contact the office for assistance.
Please contact the APTLA Office for any additional information and local accommodation suggestions (902 446 4446 / 866 314 4446 or firstname.lastname@example.org).